Waffles are easier than you may think, and if you’re just not up for it the recipe works just as well as pancakes which are quicker and easier. But for me, I love the crispy, syrup catching ridges of waffles.
Here’s a great idea and a super simple recipe to help you make your Dad an amazing Father’s Day brunch.
I also love Bob’s Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake and Waffle Mix, it works perfectly in this customized recipe, but any store bought mix should work.
And the truth is, pancakes and waffles are really just vehicles to hold our syrup, whipped topping and fruit! So help Dad load up and enjoy 🙂
- 1 cup of waffle mix
- 1 cup of quick oats
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk
- 1 large banana mashed
- cooking spray
- First, turn on your waffle iron to give it time to heat up.
- Mash your banana in the bottom of a large bowl then add your non-dairy milk and whisky to combine. At this point you can also add any special flavourings like vanilla or pumpkin pie puré if you desire.
- Next add in your waffle mix and oats and stir until well mixed and a thick batter has formed. If you need to make any adjustments to the batter add additional water/milk or waffle mix/oats by the teaspoon so you don’t over do it and need to make too many adjustments. This would also be when you would gently fold in blueberries or chocolate chips if you wanted.
- When your waffle iron is ready give it a spray and put some batter in the middle of the iron, I normally use a soup ladle and that seems to work, but it really depends on the size of your waffle iron and your ladle, so start with a dollop of batter in the centre of the waffle iron, then use the back of the ladle to spread the batter around until it’s about an inch from the edge of the cooking surface and not too thick on the top, this should allow you to close it without everything pouring out the sides.
- Turn your oven on low, if required to keep your waffles warm and work in batches, this should provide enough to serve 4 people, but of course it depends on the size and type of waffle iron you have and people’s appetites.
- Serve your hot waffles with the toppings of your choice and enjoy!
And you can find the original recipe here.